Name: Turtle River Bridge
Description: The customer is a leading provider of comprehensive construction services with annual sales over $18 billion. Headquarted in Europe, the construction company and its subsidiaries operate in more than 30 countries worldwide, but especially in Europe and the US. The group's areas of operation comprise construction, residential and commercial development, and infrastructure development.
Problem: The customer required a gantry crane to move materials needed to rebuild a section of the I-95 highway, including a 1,000m bridge over Turtle River in Georgia. This was part of a $199M contract between Georgia’s DOT and the construction company.
Solution: North American Industries built a customized 25 ton double girder double leg gantry crane. The system includes:
- NEMA 4 weatherproofing
- Cold weather protection
- Trolley designed for maximum cross slope of 1%
- End trucks designed for maximum longitudinal slope of 3%
- Open operator compartment on each end truck
- Generator mounting platform on one end truck
- Emergency brakes that will stop the crane in 12’ and act as a hold down (brake sufficient for a 50 MPH wind velocity)
- Quick disconnect electrical fittings
- Completely bolted construction to facilitate erection as well as disassembly for easy relocation
- Radio remote controls
- Full length catwalk with access ladder on 1 leg